Detroit Tiger fans brave cold to see team (view this story)

Michael Fagans April 21, 2011, 4:56 p.m. permalink

Eric:

Nice daily. The most interesting observation for me is that on a short daily turnaround you worked nine hours. I am more than convinced that news video is on a different schedule than print.

Loved your opening shot of people's feet. Too many times I think people forget to get low or get high shooting video.

The most successful part of the project for me was the cutting back and forth between the player and the young boy. That really highlighted why the day is special for both the athletes and the fans.

Seemed like a lot of hand-held work and I was hoping you could share with FtF why you made that choice. I am wondering if you could also share how you get organized, what your game plan was and if you stuck to your plan.

Glad that you not only review here but post work.

Mike

Eric Seals April 22, 2011, 6:35 p.m. permalink

Hi Michael, thanks for watching and reviewing it.

Eric Seals April 22, 2011, 6:54 p.m. permalink

Oops, I'm hitting the post comment button on accident...

For me this was a short daily turnaround as I'm use to doing pieces that take anywhere from 2 to 5 days to shoot.  I very rarely cover spot or breaking news with video that requires a quick turnaround.  About the only time I do that is if I have to shoot the Mayor or Governor coming into the paper to meet and talk with the editorial board and I need to pull together quick soundbites in a 1:30 or 2 minute package but stuff like that really has no scope or focus to it. Three hours of shooting is pretty short for me and the reason it took me 6 hours to edit is because I just love to tinker with the story structure, flow, edit, sequencing and overall feel of the pieces and I'm glad my paper gives me and others that do video storytelling the time to shoot, edit and tinker.

I wish I could get to a point in shooting where the story is always unfolding in front of me and it is being laid out in my head as I go but I'm not at that level yet, hopefully sometime but not yet :-)
Do you or others that read this know what mean??
It's so hard or impossible to storyboard ahead of time on many stories because things are so fluid and you have no idea what is going to happen or who you'll run into that totally changes the direction or focus of what you originally started out doing.

I knew when I was on my knees shooting that opening scene that was going to be my opening but to be honest after that it was just about looking for good b-roll, interviewing people that I had shot b-roll of before and trying the whole "if they say it then show it" thing. I really built 70% of this sitting in front of my Mac listening to my audio and doing the audio puzzle thing of what pieces go where then add my b-roll on top of it.

There was hand held work (not during the interviews but with some b-roll) only because either some of the spaces a tripod would not fit or because those damn TV guys got in my way and I had to squeeze in where I could with just my Pano.  I had not seen this in a couple of month so watched it again and there was more movement than I'm use to doing.

Thanks man!

Randy Flaum April 26, 2011, 3:50 a.m. permalink

Thank you Eric for sharing your thought process. That is something I 'battle' with myself on a lot of stories.

Eric Seals April 26, 2011, 4:09 a.m. permalink

Cool man!

Hopefully with more work we'll get there one day. It would be nice wouldn't it to not struggle and see the whole story unfold in front of us.

Anyone have any ideas, tips or advice for the FtF community on how you see the story unfolding for you effortlessly please share.  Thanks :-)

David Brooks April 26, 2011, 11:40 a.m. permalink

I certainly wouldn't classify myself as "there" yet but I do feel that the more stories I complete the quicker I am able to assess what I will need while I'm shooting, in turn, that enables me to reach the final edit quicker. Most of the time, all the video I am gathering, I am making note of where this will be in the edit but I didn't always shoot this way. I noticed now that as soon as I hit record whether it's an interview or just B roll I've started editing in my head on how I might use it. But no matter how comfortable I feel in my abilities there is this; I have an ongoing conversation with my colleagues here at the paper about how no video story has ever gone without some hitch whether it be equipment issues, website issues, access issues, traffic, weather one of these things will stick its leg out and send me to the ground, even if for a moment, it has always been there and it is extremely annoying.

Eric Seals April 26, 2011, 8:12 p.m. permalink

Totally agree David, no one on this site is "there" yet but we're all trying hard as hell aren't we?

Like you I see the more I'm doing video storytelling things become clearer when shooting and thinking about the story but wish it would come to me quicker. I also just love to tinker on the timeline and swap the audio story and b-roll puzzle pieces until it just feels right to me along with having other sets of eyes checking it out.

Likes