The Grand Hotel gets ready for tourists (view this story)

Michael Fagans April 30, 2010, 12:49 a.m. permalink

Eric:

Overall, a solid turnaround piece for me (as in not a daily but not a project).

I like the music at the start, but the outro music didn't feel as right to me.

I think I wanted to see more hotel, ie. dinning room, porch, pool, grounds...and maybe that wasn't ready or available.

I am not a big fan of zoom ins or zoom outs, although I loved that opening boat shot, very smooooth. I try to cut overall, tight, medium or some combo instead of zooming, but that is a personal aesthetic (and there is a zoom in the project I posted for comment - so take that for what it is worth).

Made me miss Michigan.

Eric Seals April 30, 2010, 6:15 p.m. permalink

Thanks Michael for commenting on it.

I went where workers were getting the hotel ready from guest rooms to painting etc. I wish there was more variety from the pool, tennis courts, dining room etc but for the 4 hours I was there at the hotel no workers were in those areas. Maybe if I had been there all day or more I could of have more of that variety.

The outro music didn't work huh? I just thought the way I brought the piece in I wanted to leave with it as well.

Thanks for the comment on the zoom in/outs. They are slow zooms but after I watched it again maybe there was too much. I know sometimes you just have to hold the shot still and let things happen in the frame.

Are you from here?

Colin Mulvany May 1, 2010, 9:37 p.m. permalink

Nice job Eric,

Strong visuals and narrative. The one bit of advice I could give is to put a little more natural sound breaks between the interview narratives. Even if is just a nat sound pop of a few seconds, it will give the viewer a chance to catch up and process what is being said. I think there were opportunities to add these breaks--the kitchen seemed like a great spot to cut to a natural sound sequence before going back the interview narrative.

I liked the music; it reinforced the sense of elegance of the place.

The only question that wasn't answered for me was what was going on here? Was the hotel reopening after being closed for the winter, or after a long renovation? Looks like a cool place to stay. Kind of like the hotel from the movie "The Shining."

Michael Fagans May 3, 2010, 2:34 p.m. permalink

Eric:

On listening again, I wanted at least 5 seconds, maybe 10 of the music without the VO. It worked well in the beginning because it stood on its own.

I interned at Muskegon with Greg Dorsett and the gang and married a great gal from Holland and lived on Lake Erie, so it all made me home sick.

Really wanted to see the tennis courts, pool, quirky things that make the hotel special, even if folks were not working there.

Overall a nice piece. Glad you are part of whatever this becomes.

Eric Seals May 3, 2010, 8:53 p.m. permalink

Thanks Colin for the nat sound breaks idea. So the breaks I had in there were kind of like dead air? I left it quiet for a couple of seconds between various parts to give it time to breath before moving to the next scene.

I understand about the question not being answered on what was going on. I should of left in the part where someone talks about how the hotel had been closed for 6 months during the "off season" and now everyone is back getting her ready for the crowds coming back.

This video ran on the CBS morning show and the anchors intro took care of some of those questions that were hard to put in the video due to TV time constraints. Sometimes after long editing to feeding the TV beast I just don't want to recut but if it's not making sense to you then other people feel the same way, I need to work on that.

It felt like The Shining and I was always looking out for Johnny! LOL!!

Phil Carpenter May 4, 2010, 5:03 a.m. permalink

Nicely shot Eric; neat little story. Not liking the zooms though ;-)
Thanks for sharing sir.

Eric Seals May 4, 2010, 7:22 a.m. permalink

Thanks Phil, others have mentioned that as well and I'm going to be more aware of that now.

Likes